How to give yourself Christ as a gift
Did you leave a very special person off your Christmas shopping list this year? That very special person, neglected and forgotten by most of us is… you! It’s never too late to treat ourselves with the greatest gift of all—Christ! No one else can give Him to us! Here’s how.
- By following His commandments, especially the commandment to love God…
- By quickly rising and asking for God’s forgiveness…
- By forgiving and forgetting…
- By turning the other side…
- By walking away, when we have to walk away; and by making a stand, when we have to make a stand…
- By saying, when we are about to do something—anything: Lord, help me. Bless me. Guide me to do Your will, to never offend You. Thank You, Lord.
- By saying often (as often as we breathe, if we can): “Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.”
- By saying: I believe in You, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, One God, and by learning the Creed by heart, if you don’t already know it.
- By cutting out the noise! By resting our tongue and mind. By being quiet, and by letting God speak to us, so we can hear Him.
- By helping a person in need, feeding him, providing shelter for him, caring for him, visiting him, telling him a kind word.
- Especially, by preparing ourselves through prayer, fasting, penitence, “fear of God, faith and love”, to receive the divine Eucharist.
Article graphics and editing: Tony Hatzidakis
Latest posts by Fr. Emmanuel Hatzidakis (see all)
- What would the Orthodox Church be without the Ecumenical Patriarch? - October 1, 2018
- Whatever shines is not always gold - September 15, 2018
- Are we preaching the saving truth or hiding it? - September 4, 2018