I believe in God because
- As I search for meaning to my existence, only an eternal Creator and an eternity of an existence with Him can give meaning to it.
- As I search for a purpose of the world, only an intelligent Maker of the universe can give purpose to its continuous existence and finality.
- As I have a strong desire to live, only an eternally living Being and the perspective of an eternal life with Him can fully satisfy my desire.
- As I wish to love and to be loved, my love can find fulfillment only in relation with a Person who is infinitely Good, Beautiful and Loving in an absolute way.
- As I search for a greater and more profound knowledge, I find that only an inexhaustible Source of Knowledge can satisfy it completely.
- As I long for a firm and lasting reality in an ever changing world, only rest in a lasting and unchangeable Reality can totally fulfill this desire.
- As I search for perfection, I know that this perfection is not possible in this imperfect world and in this finite life, therefore there must be another world and another life to reach it.
- As I aspire after order, I know that perfect order lies beyond this existence, therefore it must exist in a different, perfectly orderly realm.
- As I long for freedom, I know that I will never achieve total freedom in this life, therefore I must find it in a different life.
- As I am aware of my rationality and that of other human beings, I know that perfect rationality can be found and achieved only beyond this world.
- As I feel empty, incomplete, uncertain, unfulfilled, unsatisfied, I find fulfillment, accomplishment, certainty, satisfaction in Him who alone is complete, who alone can satisfy my every desire, in Him who is the only certainty.
- As I strive to discover and achieve an ever greater beauty, true justice, objective truth, a more lasting happiness, a continuous newness, only a Being who is the source of Beauty, Justice, Truth, Happiness and Newness can fulfill it.
- As I long for something nobler and higher and better, I am led to God who is the fulfillment of all my aspirations, who alone satisfies my perennial longing.
- As I strive to be in communion with other human beings, I realize that I cannot come to perfect communion with anyone else except a perfect personal Being.
- As I feel weak, uncertain, confused, perplexed, inadequate, I place my hope and trust in God, and in Him I feel certain, calm, strong.
I HAVE BEEN CREATED FOR ETERNITY: TO BE, TO LIVE, TO LOVE FOREVER IN HIM WHO EXISTS AND IS THE SOURCE OF EXISTENCE, WHO LIVES AND IS THE SOURCE OF LIFE, WHO IS LOVE AND IS THE SOURCE AND OBJECT OF LOVE.
If man disputes the reality of a supreme Being who is the source of our existence and of the world, then our life and the existence of the world would have no purpose and no meaning. Then we would not differ from moles who grope in the dark. Except they have no consciousness of themselves or of the world around them, whereas we do. The absence of a meaning and purpose in life should cause us tremendous unhappiness and lead us to desperation.
Do we believe in “a universe of the absurd,” in which we lead an irrational, meaningless, unrealized, unfulfilling, unhappy, unsatisfying, tragic, doomed existence? Is our world a “closed,” dark world, a dungeon without doors or windows? Or is it a room with a window, from which we can take a peak of the world “outside,” with rolling hills, brooks with crystal water, birds singing and people strolling happily, and a door which leads us to it?
Faith in God and in an eternal life He grants us gives us hope, joy, drive, fulfillment, purpose. God instilled these aspirations in us to lead us to Him. We had our beginning in Him and we long to end our journey back to Him. This is the final goal of our existence, and we shall not rest until we rest in Him who created us. In the words of Blessed Augustine, “Inquietum est cor nostrum donec requiescat in te”: our heart is restless until it rests in You.
* Photo in post heading by Fr. Emmanuel Hatzidakis.